You are using an older browser. Please note that this site could possibly not be displayed correctly.
Share this article

The website is owned and operated by REWE Group.
The intellectual property of all text, images, sound and software on this website lies with REWE Group, or are used with the permission of the respective owner of the appropriate rights.
It is permitted to view this page, print extracts, to save on the hard disk of your computer and pass it on to other people. However, it is neither permitted for commercial use, nor to use content or components in publications. Further rights are not linked to the use of this website.
REWE Group is not responsible for third party content of websites referenced by this page.


1971 until 1990


REWE restructures: the three-tier structure (retail - wholesale - head office) is abandoned in favour of a more efficient two-tier model (retail - head office). The REWE wholesalers Hungen, Efferen, Korschenbroich/Erkelenz and Koblenz transfer their business operations to REWE-Zentral AG. These are then reorganised as the branch offices Hungen and West. Just ahead of German unification, the first REWE stores are opened in Potsdam and Weimar during the last days of the German Democratic Republic. In the southern and southeastern regions of Germany, the 399-store base of co op AG and the co op warehouse in the Neuhausen district of Stuttgart are acquired.


REWE-Handelsgesellschaft Leibbrand oHG acquires the company Deutscher Supermarkt Handels GmbH, Düsseldorf, which operates food retail chains such as Deutscher Supermarkt, Desuma, Hill, and Otto Mess. REWE enters the travel and tourism business by taking over a 50 per cent stake in the travel agency firm ATLAS-Reisebüro GmbH, Cologne. At the time of its takeover in 1994, ATLAS REISEN operates some 300 travel agencies.


REWE acquires 51 per cent of the food chain Cornelius Stüssgen AG, Cologne. The remaining 49 per cent are acquired by REWE-Zentrale in 1989.


The Kaiser+Kellermann Group, based in Kirchhundem, Germany, joins REWE with its Globus hypermarkets. REWE takes a 75 per cent stake in the company in 1988.



REWE-Wibu is founded in Mainz as a new partner for commercial customers; the organisation is a predecessor to REWE GROSSVERBRAUCHER-SERVICE.


REWE wins the "Cassis du Dijon" ruling at the European Court of Justice. The judgment marks a milestone for free trade within the EU. The judgment states that any product that can be traded in an EU member country may also be offered for sale in every other EU country.


REWE-Zentrale takes a 50 per cent stake in the Leibbrand Group. The expansion of the Company, founded in 1961, continues as REWE-Handelsgesellschaft Leibbrand oHG in Bad Homburg with the HL and miniMAL supermarket chains, PENNY discount stores, toom hypermarkets, and idea drugstores. REWE takes over Leibbrand ownership in 1989.


The trading cooperative "Für Sie-Discount eG." in Cologne becomes a member of REWE-Zentralfinanz eG.


In the framework of REWE Group reforms, "REWE-Zentralimport e.G.m.b.H." becomes today's REWE- Zentral AG. The Rewe wholesalers are the registered shareholders. REWE-Zentral AG operates the goods trade. REWE-Zentralfinanz eG takes over the duties of a credit cooperative. The REWE partnership model promotes independent retailers at improved business terms. The increasing capital needs of the stores leads to the model of the REWE Trading Companies, in which REWE's Head Office may own by up to 50 per cent.